The president is no longer safe on the White House grounds, according to former Secret Service agent Dan Bongino, who once guarded presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama.
Bongino made the stunning assessment in an interview Friday with Fox News. It followed an incident last Friday night when a man jumped the White House fence and may have roamed the property for as long as 15 minutes before he was stopped by the Secret Service.
Jonathan Tran, who carried two cans of mace, set off multiple alarms, Bongino said, and was even spotted by Secret Service officers, but was still able to come within “close proximity” of the White House and even reportedly “jiggled the door” to the executive mansion.
Continue reading Donald Trump not safe in White House, says former Secret Service agent
There are “no indications” that Trump Tower was under surveillance by the US government before or after the election, a Senate committee has said.
The statement from Republican Senator Richard Burr, Senate Intelligence Committee chairman, dismissed Donald Trump’s claim his phones were tapped.
Mr Trump had accused his predecessor Barack Obama of wiretapping Trump Tower during the presidential race.
Mr Burr joins a cadre of lawmakers who have rejected the allegation.
Earlier on Thursday, House Speaker Paul Ryan also said “no such wiretap existed”.
Continue reading US Senate panel says “no indications Trump Tower was subject of surveillance” after Donald Trump wiretap claim
The top Republican and Democrat on the House intelligence committee said they have still not seen any evidence to support Donald Trump’s extraordinary claim that Barack Obama tapped his phones at Trump Tower.
“We don’t have any evidence that that took place and in fact I don’t believe – just in the last week of time, the people we’ve talked to – I don’t think there was an actual tap of Trump Tower,” the committee chairman, Devin Nunes, a Republican from California and a supporter of Trump’s campaign, said during a joint press conference with the panel’s top Democrat on Wednesday.
The committee has asked that the justice department provide information by 20 March.
Continue reading House intelligence chiefs: we have seen no evidence for Trump’s wiretap claim
The White House has become a “hostile environment,” with staffers at all levels concerned that they are being spied on by fellow staffers and government bureaucrats, according to a Wednesday Politico report .
Almost a dozen White House staffers and federal agency employees told Politico that they are increasingly fearful of being exposed, embarrassed, or undermined by a “deep state” of career military and intelligence officials opposed to President Donald Trump’s agenda or even by other Trump appointees and loyalists seeking influence.
“People are scared,” a senior administration aide told Politico, adding that the White House had become “a pretty hostile environment to work in.”
Continue reading Fear and paranoia reportedly set in at the White House as staffers fear possibility of being spied on
President Trump in a phone call with his Mexican counterpart threatened to send U.S. troops to stop “bad hombres down there” unless that country’s military does more to control them, and scrapped with Australia’s prime minister in another call.
“You have a bunch of bad hombres down there,” Trump told Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto, according to the excerpt given to The Associated Press.
“You aren’t doing enough to stop them. I think your military is scared. Our military isn’t, so I just might send them down to take care of it.”
Continue reading Donald Trump: I’ll send troops to Mexico to stop ‘bad hombres’
A French Canadian known for far-right views has been charged with six counts of murder over the shooting rampage at a Quebec mosque. Suspect Alexandre Bissonnette, who was also charged with five counts of attempted murder, made a brief court appearance and did not enter a plea.
Continue reading Suspect charged in Quebec mosque attack
With a little more than a year left in office, Barack Obama may be closing in on his post-presidency plans. An announcement yesterday (Aug. 31) by Columbia University president Lee C. Bollinger sent rumors about those plans flying.
With previous rumors already suggesting that Obama was considering a move to New York City to teach at Columbia Law School, Bollinger said he’s looking forward to welcoming Obama back to campus in 2017.
According to the university newspaper, the Columbia Spectator,Bollinger did not say anything specific other than to suggest that the president (and perhaps the first lady) would have some sort of official presence at Columbia in the 2017 academic year.
The university promptly responded to the rumors, saying that Bollinger had not made a big reveal. His comments, it said, reflected no further developments concerning Obama’s plans, but rather “reiterated the May 12 statement by the Barack Obama Foundation that it ‘intends to maintain a presence at Columbia University for the purpose of exploring and developing opportunities for a long term association.’”
Obama was previously a law professor at the University of Chicago. He received his undergraduate degree from Columbia.
The White House also responded to the rumors, saying no decision had been made about Obama’s role at the university after he leaves office.