As he rejected a bipartisan compromise to resolve the standoff over so-called Dreamers, President Trump asked participants in an Oval Office meeting Thursday why the United States should accept immigrants from “shithole countries” in Africa, Central America and the Caribbean, according to two people briefed on the meeting.
“What do we want Haitians here for?” the president asked, according to the people briefed. “Why do we want all these people from Africa here? Why do we want all these people from shithole countries?”
The president added: “We should have people from places like Norway.”
Continue reading Trump complains about allowing immigrants from ‘shithole’ countries
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (Reuters) – California Governor Jerry Brown will propose his final state budget on Wednesday, setting out a spending blueprint that last year topped $125 billion and marking the first time the state’s coffers will be bolstered from sales taxes on marijuana.
Brown, a Democrat who is leaving office next January after four non-consecutive terms, has positioned the state as a bulwark against the conservative policies of Republican U.S. President Donald Trump.
The governor’s proposal is expected to reflect that by funding programs to combat climate change, shore up health care services and other efforts.
The 2018-2019 budget will include anticipated taxes on sales of marijuana, which became legal for recreational use Jan. 1, estimated to eventually reach $1 billion.
Continue reading Marijuana taxes and a surplus expected to boost California budget
The Democratic split over impeaching President Trump just burst into the open.
“Donald John Trump has, by his statements, brought the high office of President of the United States in contempt, ridicule, disgrace and disrepute, has sown discord among the people of the United States, has demonstrated that he is unfit to be President, has betrayed his trust as President the United States to the manifest injury of the people of the United States, and has committed a high misdemeanor in office.”
Continue reading “Unfit to be President”: 58 House Democrats want to start debating the impeachment of Donald Trump
- Democratic members of the House Intelligence Committee said their Wednesday interview with Donald Trump Jr., was unhelpful to their ongoing investigation of Russian meddling in the 2016 US election.
- Rep. Jackie Speier told CNN her takeaway was that Trump Jr. “has a very serious case of amnesia,” and said he was “pretty non-responsive” during the meeting.
- The interview covered several topics including Trump Jr.’s contacts with WikiLeaks and an infamous June 2016 meeting at Trump Tower that landed the president’s eldest son in hot water during the summer.
Continue reading A ‘serious case of amnesia’: House Intel Democrat says Trump Jr. was ‘pretty non-responsive’ in 8-hour interview
- Some White House insiders and close associates of President Donald Trump have expressed concern about Trump’s behavior of late.
- Ongoing feuds with members of his own party have isolated Trump as he struggles to implement his agenda.
- Trump’s public fights on social media have only grown more intense including with members of his own party.
- Trump has reportedly found himself isolated in a White House that’s far more subdued under the direction of chief of staff John Kelly.
A cadre of White House insiders and close associates of President Donald Trump have painted a grim picture of an increasingly volatile Trump, who in the last few weeks has found himself at the center of near-constant battles that have frequently spilled out into the public.
Continue reading White House insiders paint a grim picture of Trump’s increasingly volatile behavior
First daughter Ivanka Trump and her husband Jared Kushner were spotted at a party over the weekend rubbing elbows with billionaire Democratic financier George Soros and Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), Politico reported Sunday.
The couple were among the guests at Lally Weymouth’s Southampton home Saturday, where the former Washington Post editor — whose family owned the newspaper for decades — was holding a star-studded annual party.
Continue reading Kushner, Ivanka rub elbows with Dem billionaire Soros at Hamptons party