- Special counsel Robert Mueller subpoenaed former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon to appear before a grand jury as part of the Russia investigation.
- News of the subpoena came on the same day that Bannon testified before the House Intelligence Committee about what he witnessed when he worked on the Trump campaign between August 2016 and November 2016.
- Bannon was a central figure in the latter part of the campaign and in the beginning months of the Trump presidency.
- President Trump defended his intelligence and mental stability on Saturday morning, saying in a series of tweets that his “two greatest assets” have been “mental stability and being, like, really smart.”
- He added that he believed he was “a very stable genius.”
- Trump’s tweets came on the heels of Michael Wolff’s explosive new book about the Trump White House.
- Wolff said in an interview Friday that 100% of the people around Trump question his intelligence and fitness for office.
President Donald Trump took to Twitter Saturday morning to defend his intelligence, which he said was smeared by Democrats and the “fake news” mainstream media.
- Democratic members of the House Intelligence Committee said their Wednesday interview with Donald Trump Jr., was unhelpful to their ongoing investigation of Russian meddling in the 2016 US election.
- Rep. Jackie Speier told CNN her takeaway was that Trump Jr. “has a very serious case of amnesia,” and said he was “pretty non-responsive” during the meeting.
- The interview covered several topics including Trump Jr.’s contacts with WikiLeaks and an infamous June 2016 meeting at Trump Tower that landed the president’s eldest son in hot water during the summer.