Two people are confirmed to have died after a huge fire gutted a five-star hotel on the banks of Loch Lomond. More than 200 guests were evacuated from Cameron House at around 6.40am when the fire broke out.
One person was pronounced dead at the scene while another died at hospital. Two adults and a child, believed to be from one family, were taken to hospital in Glasgow for treatment.
A fourth patient who was taken to Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley later died from their injuries. Pictures showed guests and staff standing outside the hotel while emergency services took control of the area. Firefighters could also be seen tackling the blaze in the roof of the hotel from an aerial unit.
This afternoon the confirmed that the hotel had been ‘extensively damaged’. A spokesman for the Scottish Ambulance Service said: ‘We received a call at 6.44am today to attend an incident at the Cameron House Hotel. A police spokeswoman said: ‘Police Scotland can now confirm two people have died following a fire at the Cameron House Hotel earlier today, Monday 18 December 2017.
‘Around 0650 hours, police were called to a report of a fire at the hotel. More than 200 guests were evacuated from the building which has been extensively damaged. ‘Officers remain at the scene and are working with other emergency services to establish the exact circumstances of the incident. ‘One person was pronounced dead at the scene. Four people were taken to hospital, one to the RAH who later died. A further three people were taken to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital for treatment. ‘A report will be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal.’
Other guests were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. The hotel is a popular wedding venue and houses the Michelin starred Martin Wishart at Loch Lomond restaurant.
On its website, Cameron House said the fire was within the main building. A message read: ‘We would ask all guests and customers to remain patient as we work with the emergency services to establish the extent of the damage and ascertain when we will be able to re-open.’ First Minister Nicola Sturgeon tweeted: ‘This is absolutely dreadful news. My heart goes out to the loved ones of those who have died, and to all those affected. ‘My thanks also to our brave firefighters and emergency services.’